View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #30
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
Every time she has been stopped, she had in fact broken a traffic law, something most mordida storytellers fail to mention in their retelling. If you broke a traffic law, it is a fine. If you bribe a cop, it is a mordida.
I think this is true. The reason paying a cop directly still occurs is that it generally costs less than paying the fine. For the guy that's just trying to make a buck hauling vegetables to town with an expired registration, it's more economical to just pay the cop. In a poor country, and for poor people, this "system" works on some level. That said, I've been riding around Mexico, and living here for three years now, and have never been stopped by a cop, and I've broken untold speeding laws, so this discussion seems kinda abstract to me. In answer to the post's title: "Is Mexico Dangerous?", I can only speak from my own experience, and say, no. It isn't any more dangerous than traveling any number of other countries, including the US. BTW, my experience here has included an evening spent with a member of the drug trade, and that night ended with him calling me his hermano.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote