View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #94
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
Well, we could raise water and sewer rates more to afford a ground thawing machine, which takes hours or days to make the ground digable (people don't like to hear "sorry sir, but we can't fix the water line until that machine thaws the ground- might not be ready for two days.") We could also raise taxes more and fund the machine that way. Our department does pretty well because our pay is based on water bills, but we're already being told "Work with what you have." quite a bit when we request a new tool. Right now when we need a torque wrench we have to drive across town to the highway department and borrow theirs because our broke and we can't afford a new one till next year.

I know you were kidding around but I just felt like running my mouth.
Well that is what happens when you use the torque wrench as a hammer.

Our water department has a camera for inspecting pipes and such, and they were checking out a drain to see if it was in decent shape to reuse. Apparently there was an obstruction, because when I got there the water department guy was using the camera to try and bash his way through the crap in the pipe, and then was complaining about the junky equipment they have. He was complaining especially about the little plastic cover on the camera that is taped on because someone broke the original latching system.

Been working away on my woodstove. Really slick Hearthstone. I have about 5 hours into it cleaning up the cast iron with a wire brush in a cordless drill. Would probably be faster to use a wire brush in an angle grinder or something, but there are a lot of tight spots that the drill comes in really handy. She is cleaning up really nice, and it is also letting me fix hinges and stuff as I go along. I am hoping to get it operational in another week or 2, but to clean it up right, and to fix things right it is going to take a little time.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote