View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #78
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,979
Thumb Maps & Megabitzching

I have to say, after fiddling with several brands of GPS' and finding them more pain than worth, it's nice to have a good old map on hand.
I mean, GPS are great to put waypoints on and follow along while on the road, especially if your lost...and I get lost alot.

That being the case these Butler maps are great for planning out a tour or day ride and using the GPS for routing. Seems these two go hand in hand perfectly.
Whodathunk? Evidently someone did.

What a plus a good 'moto map' is when (most) the good riding roads are already highlighted and the map itself doesn't shred at the creases!

I'm extremely happy with the So-Mid-Cal map. There are 3 levels of roads (Cartographical Data) in order of fun/thrill to ride. G1/G2/G3 and highlighted in accordance. Pretty neat!

Then there are 3 more catagories, and these are the ones I'm interested in:
Lost Highways
Paved Mountain Trails
Rough Roads
...I'm in!

There's a load of data on the back as well. Highway descriptions with elevation charts, Climate Guides, a huge breakdown of the PMT's including road width, surface quality, GPS waypoints. Someone spent alot of time gathering tis data...I'm jealous.

Best part of the Butler maps is the legibility. Even the the blown-ups of prime rides are very easy to follow. Way better than a AAA or brand X map.
There's nothing worse than trying to read a map on the side of the road with a helmet on in the wind when your into the autumn of your riding years.

By cracky, I can read this here map real good!

I've got a cupboard full of road maps, and thus is by far the best one of the bunch. Best thing is it appears it will last a lifetime. Well, at least the rest of my lifetime...

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 02:58 PM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote