View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Bill P.
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam16v
yeah.... and then why wouldn't you put them on an ignition controlled circuit so when the key is off and you're inherently not driving, your driving lights for driving are then off? I'm not understanding your logic either.
It's my understanding, from reading through the documentation of the PDM60, that:

1) There is a built-in (i.e., you don't add your own relay) provision for adding a switch to only one of the six circuits.
2) And if you make use of that provision, it changes that circuit from an ignition-on circuit into a circuit controlled only by the switch (i.e., no longer by the ignition). Or maybe that circuit is always hot, regardless; I'm not sure.

Of course, I may have misinterpreted the documentation, but I believe I am correct. I am referring to the "Optional switch input" discussion on the second page. It states, when opting to add your own switch, that:

The optional switch input controls the #1 circuit and is for loads up to 15 AMPS. To enable the switch, simply route the blue wire (Connector Pin 1) to a low current SPST (Single Pole Single Throw - On/Off) switch. Route the other side of the switch to ground, preferable on the ground buss of the PDM60. Circuit 1 is not controlled by the ignition trigger wire. This circuit is intended for use with driving lamps or other accessories which you would not likely forget to turn off.

So, by way of explanation, that sums up what I think of as a shortcoming. That is, the device provides one easy method of adding a switch to control one circuit, but that circuit is always hot. And, as they say, it then becomes your responsibility to not "forget to turn [it] off."

I've added Motolights to each of my last three bikes. (I realize they are not great driving lights. I mostly appreciate their rugged construction and use them more for conspicuity than for added illumination for my use. But let's not go there just now, okay?) In any event, I've always had a switch to turn them on and off whenever I felt that it was appropriate to do so, and I've always had them powered via a relay, which in turn was triggered by something that was on only when the ignition was switched on (i.e., they could not be inadvertantly left on, nor could someone flip them on when the bike was parked).

Now - again, if I understand the documention - you can certainly add a relay and a switch to one of the other circuits in the device. But if you do so, you're turning the device into an expensive "manual" fuse block, is all. That is, you're not making much use of the electronics in the device; that is, the device is not functioning as a sort of super-relay for you, and - it seems to me - you might as well just use one of the other less expensive fuse blocks that John referred to in his original post (except that, yes, you still get the benefit of solid-state "fuses"). (And I realize that you could skip the relay, and just put an in-line switch into one of your farkles that's using one of the other circuits, but it's been my experience that putting full juice in a series switch is not a great idea.)

I'm not trying to be cantankerous or a smart-aleck here. I hope I've just made a better explanation of what I see as a shortcoming. I'd rather that there was a provision for just as easily adding an optional switch to something that was still, ultimately, controlled by the ignition. I can see the use of always-on circuits (e.g., an alarm). And I can see the use of no switches on an ignition-controlled circuit (I do this now, for instance, for running lights - I changed the front turn signals from single-filament to dual-filament sockets and bulbs). And I can see the usefulness of adding a switch to an ignition-controlled circuit (e.g., my Motolights). But I cannot see the usefulness of adding a switch to an always-hot circuit; I imagine that someone has a good use for that, but I certainly would prefer an easily-added switch for an ignition controlled circuit.

That's all I'm saying. Make sense to anyone else? Don't any of you have switchable driving lights? And if you do, don't you prefer not to have to remember to turn them off (if they were on) when you turn off the bike? If you answered "Yes" to these questions, or you were adding new lights, wouldn't it be nice to be able to skip the relay and associated wiring, especially if you just spent $109 on a control box?

Bill P. screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 03:44 PM
Bill P. is offline   Reply With Quote