View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #52
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Need???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I saw that, and I still can't come up with a reason to order it. I mean, I want to order this thing, especially with it being on sale, but I can't think of any accessories I have planned for the bike that will need the add on. Help me out here with some ideas, please.

Radar detector and GPS are running off the bike's aux circuit (7A capability,) and I have enough juice left over to run LED driving lights. Heated gear and SAE connector run straight to the battery, no switching needed.
We are talking about discretionary purchases here - so WANT is a more appropriate word than NEED!

I can handle much of what I want to do on my GS with a) direct battery connection and b) use of the BMW unused "aux" header connector tied to ignition. This would require me to have four direct battery connections beyond the bike harness: 1) heated gear, 2) battery tender, 3) Clearwater Krista LED light controller, 4) Stebel horn. My iPhone, LED handguard lights and future Zumo could be run off the BMW aux connector.

I don't like the stack of direct battery connections, but the cheapest way to handle this is with the Powerlet "Termin-8"

The PDM60 is a more sophisticated solution that will give me a cleaner wiring setup and future expansion capability.

I may add more LED aux lights, radar detector, passenger heat in the future. These are clearly "wants", not "needs".

So - I have no good argument, but I still want one...

John Smallberries screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 07:24 AM
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote