Thread: 2011 Bmw G650gs
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
the g650x has a lighter flywheel and stator. its gets its mostly 3 extra hp from that. .
Oh, that is how they did it? Originally I thought the engine was just tuned a bit more...I've checked the specs I see that they are both 652cc engines with the same piston and stroke, etc, but I could not find consistent HP/KW specs and I don't have access to the BMW manuals which contain this info.

-The Wiki reports that the G650 engines, both from the X and GS lines were uprated to 53HP with the GS variant containing the original 400watt generator. So I'm still puzzled

Quote:
the new is still down 2 or 3 from old.????. .
The F650GS 2000-2007 was rated at 50HP in the BMW books, so yes, the new one is downrated from both the earlier lineup as well as the original G650 motor.

Quote:
oh and the euro resticted model is 35 horsies. just a software mod.

The Euro restictions were originally 25KW and the F650GS 2000-2007 models offered a compliant restriction on the throttle body where the throttle cable could be relocated to make the bike fit the restriction. This was a mechanical restriciton on the throttlebody, not software. 25KW approximates 33HP, btw.

I think your 35 figure is not HP but KW. Now there is a change, I think, to add an additional licensing step with a 35KW restriction, which approximates the 48HP rating that is being published for the new bike. The licensing is a bit confusing to me but I suspect the downrating of the engine is to make it compliant with the new restriction...?
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote