View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
What I tried to do with the fork adaption was not to cannabalise anything so that where I used the stock parts, they are untouched. I also wanted to minimise the expense, so kept the stock instruments etc. The only thing that was too hard was getting the steering lock to line up. I could get it to work but would never be able to remove the key because of the bar mounts being further forward on the KTM triple clamps.

I trusted LukasM http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239519 on his advice re the steering head bearings, and it works so far, ie keep the Suzuki cups in the steering head and the KTM races will line up. the bearings are sized differently, ie 29 x 50.25 x 15 KTM vs 30 x 52 x 16 Suzi but it seems to work OK. The rollers are in full contact with the cup. A couple of shim washers to lift the top clamp to clear the damper post mount and we shall monitor durability. May end up fitting a sleeve to the KTM shaft and just use the Suzi bearings, dunno.

EDIT, the steering head bearings failed, read on.

$AU costs for the front end conversion:
$520 KTM 08 SXF forks and triple clamp, with bearings - ebay
$30 Husky guard - local wrecker
$105 DRZ400 SM headlight mounts - local wrecker
$32 KTM white fork shrouds - ebay
$8 Suzuki stickers - ebay
$142 MSC KTM submount for damper - MSC

I also got 2 sets of head bearings, just in case, but as yet unused from ebay for about $100

I also had some scrap steel and bar stock for making adaptors etc and an axle and lock nut in the shed, and miscellaneous bolts, so no direct cost as such.

Steve

BergDonk screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 03:54 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote