Kaw reservation lands untill 1872.
The ruins of reservation cabins built in 1861 can still be found along little John creek, 138 of them were built by the government for the Kansa, the Kaw used them as barns, prefering their lodges to the stone cabins.
Pi-Sing (Game) Kansa Warrior ca. 1868 Washington, D.C.
Back in the thirtys a Kaw warrior's burial site washed out of a bluff due to erosion, when the site was found by the land owner he saw that not only had the warrior been buried with his full battle and hunting gear, but he had been buried with his horse. The land owner built a stone munument at the top of the bluff and reintered the warrior and his horse into it. The land was donated back to the Kansa tribe who now only own about 80 acres of Kansas land along Little John creek.
In the late 1860's the Kaws were living in Kansas on the verge of starvation. Their population was less than 700 and they were noticeably decreasing in number. In the neighborhood of Council Grove they had a diminished reserve of some 80,000 acres, while their "trust lands" adjoining the reserve consisted of 175,000 acres.
To provide for the removal and most urgent necessities of the Kansas Indians, $25,000 was appropriated by act of congress approved February 14, 1873, said amount to be reimbursed from the proceeds of the sale of their lands in Kansas. The Kaws left their reservation in Kansas on June 4 and arrived at their new reservation in the Indian territory on June 21 "without the loss of one member, and without having had any difficulty with the whites or among themselves." Their number was 533.
The Old Kaw Reservation is about 6 miles South East of Council Grove.
This pic is from a site about 60 miles to the south west, the begining of the end for the Kaw.
Wah-shun-gah, principal chief of the Kansa in the 1880\'s after the tribe was forced to move to Indian Territory in 1873. This photograph may have been taken by C. M. Bell in Washington about 1880.