HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Scott, is there steep mtns in SS 2??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
aren't there rules about what maps you can use and/or have in the vehicle?
They are allowed standard maps with no notes on them. They are not allowed any type of satellite or aerial imagery. And they are not allowed any type of computer. But that all only applies to the time period when they are racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
im sure the factory teams do this same thing.. I have done it for every rallymoto and desert race for the last couple years I have entered (not to Scott's length) but it helps tremendously to familiarize where you will be... local landmarks, populated areas for help,shortcuts etc...
Indeed it can help a LOT to look the course over in Google Earth. But it's nearly impossible to figure out where the course goes with the extremely limited info ASO provides. Try mapping a 300 mile long stage when you don't know the start, finish, or many if any points in between, while there are THOUSANDS of criss-crossing roads between bivouacs. Remember, the undisclosed start and finish of each stage are almost never anywhere near the bivouacs. If I had the roadbooks well ahead of time,then it would be somewhat easier, though still very time consuming.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote