Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #6601
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
So for the upcoming harescramble season I need a number plate setup for the DR350, can someone tell me if I have a crazy idea? I need black backgrounds and white numbers, no one makes a pre print for the 350, so I can use blak sheets and cut them to fit. However, what if I were to spray the side panels with that bed-liner in a can stuff and pained over the numbers I wanted? Would that look weird? I might try it....
I think it would work and here's why...

I painted the whole headlight surround of my V-Strom with the rattle-can bedliner and it turned out amazingly good. WAY better looking than the glossy black of the stock surround. The key was to use several very light coats to give it slightly more texture than orange-peel. If you slop it on it will be rough and ugly. I sanded the plastic down pretty good with some fine-grit paper first to rough it up a bit and take that glossy sheen off the top. Then I cleaned it real good with DupliColor cleaner/degreaser. I also did the heat shield over the exhaust with fantastic results.

Based on how mine looks, I think it would turn out great if you did that. It would be really cheap to try it on the inside of your side panels and do a "test paint" to see how it turns out.

Post pics if it works!