Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #6602
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Help! Electrical...

Hopefully someone can help a bike wiring newb out with a problem here...

I am trying to get my 92 DR350 (plated version) ready for an enduro later this month and in my check-up I noticed that my tail/brake light is not working. Like I said, I am rather a newb at bike electrical issues so I was hoping someone could give me pointers on what to check for. Here is what I have done so far...

Verified that neither brake activates the light to rule out the switches.

Verified that the headlights do not activate the running light (is there one? I never noticed... but pretty sure there is... lol)

Verified other electrical stuff works... headlight, turnsignals, speedo lights, etc.

Changed the bulb.

Checked for continuity at the wires where the leads plug into the tail lamp assembly and there is none there when the brakes are engaged.

Checked the plug next to the battery where the leads come out of the main wiring harness and go back to the rear of the bike. I do get some continuity there when the brake is engaged but I don't know for sure if I am checking for the right thing here... but perhaps this is pointing to a cut wire somewhere behind the harness.

Any ideas??? I want to get this running and go for a test ride before the end of the week (and the end of my vacation.)

Other things I did to the bike to get ready...

I had to replace the engine stop-switch. Old one went bad. New one is MUCH nicer as I can actually tell if the bike is in the ON or OFF position now instead of guessing.

Replaced rear tire/tube with an MT43 and Tubliss core. If I can get the freakin brake lamp working, I'll give this setup a try. I did ride around the block a few times with it and boy that rear tire sure is quieter on pavement than a full knobby!

Made some flexible turn-signal extenders to send them rearward so I would not kick them getting on/off the bike and break them off anymore. Should be better in a drop situation as well since they should just flex back out of the way instead of snap off.

dtp screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 05:50 PM
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote