Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #6603
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
The only other bike that I really considered as a balanced dual sport was the Husky TE610. So I think you are on the right track. When I brought $$ into the equation the balance REALLY went in favor of the DR.
Cost is definitely a factor; I almost went for a TE610 a while back, at a pretty good price, but I still have trouble with the idea of banging a $4000+ bike through the woods. I do think it's probably the closest to the DR350 as an all around dual sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The XR650R isn't far off. Its less civilized with kick start...
I haven't owned an XR650R yet, but want to someday. The big downside of that bike though is the lack of a plate, for those of us on the west coast or other more restrictive states that won't plate a dirtbike anymore. Other than that, it sounds like a great bike. I think the KTM 520 EXC I just bought will have many of the advantages and disadvantages of the 650R, except that it's got a valid plate, for now. 6th gear wheelies are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
The WR250R seems like the modern version of the DR350SE dual sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I can tell you after riding both bikes back to back, I'd much rather have a massaged DR350 than a brand-new WRR. Stock, the WRR is a bit better. However it's also more $$, and if you put a couple of grand into hot-rodding a DR, it drastically outperforms a WRR.
Doc, been there, done that, and agree 100%. The WRR is a good dual sport, and got most of it right, but just doesn't have the low end tractor-like grunt of a well set up DR350. With some motor work on the 350 (even $1K is enough), there's no comparison. There's no replacement for displacement! A WR400R would be close to perfect; like a combination of the DRZ and WRR.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote