View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #154
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,181
the time has come, gotta have some forks.

i've been running the Versys usd forks on my 650R framed bikes, and they work ok, but i wanted a completely different suspension this time. running these forks is an easy swap to the 650R because the triples are interchangeable, no machining or other modifications required, they bolt right in. the versys forks are very basic and only have damping adjustment in one leg. i did like the proprietary bar riser that matches the versys top clamp, so i decided to find an inexpensive solution that would allow me to use the versys clamps/bar riser.

the versys usd has a 41mm inner and a 50/52mm outer at the clamp surfaces. as far as i'm aware, there's nothing to work with in a longer travel late model usd fork that would fit the versys clamps. the clamp surfaces are generally much larger.

i decided i didn't really need a usd fork, how about a fully adjustable conventional fork, beefy and longer travel. the DRZ400 uses the big Showa conventional, the late models are fully adjustable, and they're cheap. i found a nice set from a 2007 400S for $100 and got to work. these things have some beef, and the inner is 49mm, ideal to mate to the versys clamps. they're longer, but there's enough uniform clamping surface on the inner so that they can be raised about 35mm.

the lower versys clamp is 52mm, so i just needed a sleeve with a 1.5mm wall to make it work. these were turned from a piece of scrap aluminum tube, and i added a small lip at the top so they would trim out neatly. the top clamp is 50mm, so they are just shimmed. i couldn't safely turn a piece with a .5mm wall, roughly .0197.

versys fork left, DRZ fork right

jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote