View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Looks a lot like mine. Don't remember the brand, bought in Indy, I'm pretty sure its a Taiwan or Chinese import, reasonably well built, probably better than a HF. I think its basically a Handy ripoff.

Air cylinder is a bit jerky going up, but nothing too scary. I've left an BMW R1100GS and Harley Heritage Sofatail on them overnight, and they were still upright and in the same position, when I returned.

Being short and kinda skinny, I should have got the width extensions, to make it safer / easier to walk/ride/push a bike up and down the lift.

Just parking on the unelevated lift makes it easier to work on a bike.
I'm not particularily short (6' 1-1/2" on a good day), but my age and some injuries has left me not quite "weak," but we're not far from it. That's the very reason I decided to get the extensions for my Panther. If you ride a bike up (yeah I know, a no-no), you have no where to plant a foot.... except another X inches down to the floor. In addition, there is really not enough width to set the sidestand pad until you get the bike situated in the vise. Found that out when I put my KLR up just to try it out. I've also ordered a roll of abrasive non-slip material to put in strategic places on the lift ramp. This will eliminate a wheel (and foot) from trying to slide away from you should it be wet, or you have hit a patch of oil somewhere in the garage. These ramps are coated with a smooth paint, and I know they'll be slick as Hades if not bone dry.