View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
I'm in my late 20's and one thing I am quickly learning is the more I bounce around job wise, the higher the pay tends to be...go figure. This is usually due to the fact that contract/consulting jobs tend to be fairly short, but I have no issue only working 5 months to get equal pay to someone working a "full-time" job. On the other hand if I was married and had kids I would probably prefer the benefits and security of the "full-time" gig but I also work with guys that have the whole family deal and they still do this type of work.

I'm not sure how much 'data' is behind Witold's numbers in his above post, but I think he is probably on target. I have actually been surprised be the number of people posting on here that seem to be doing this that are in their 20's/30's, I expected it to mainly be retirees or lotto winners.

Not sure what you do in the corporate world but it seems to be a lot more common for people to bounce around from job to job nowadays. My dad had been in his "career" for 8+yrs when he was my age. He's now been there 35+ yrs and climbed his way up the chain to a high level position. He absolutely hates it, wants to retire, but is afraid to with the state of the economy. He is also real worried that he will never get to do the things he wants before it is too late. On the top of his list is a motorcycle trip to AK from FL and back.

I just don't want to be in his position when I am his age, don't want to wish I had done something or not be able to due to family/money, I want to be able to sit back and recant what I did...
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote