View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #54
Vstromjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Its all about priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post
Maybe this has been covered before but I couldn't find a comprehensive thread with a quick search...

My BIG question: How the hell do you guys manage to do multi-week or even multi-month (let alone RTW) trips?

Not talking about the financial aspects here but rather how do you get the time off work/ how does it affect your "career" in any way? Do you take vacation time? Do you take "time off work" and pick up where you left once you return? Do you use time between jobs for travel? Without being indiscreet I'd be interested what you do and how you get the time to do those trips

I'm incredibly envious when I read the ride reports. But for me, getting two consecutive weeks vacation time would be a luxury (and even that would include constant pestering via BB). The only possibility I see is quitting my job and starting over at another firm once I return which would be a step back career-wise. It really sucks, I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...
I am 63, almost 64, and still able to ride my bikes on Iron butt rides and travel to Inuvk and Dead Horse. So not quite a total gimp yet.
Several years ago back in 19mumble mumble my wife and I sat down and ask our selves if we wanted to see stuff or buy stuff. We both chose to see stuff. We bought a smaller house than we could have and always buy used cars as needed. You get the idea. We saved money and planned trips. As we went through life and work we kept to our plan. Work is just a way to afford to do what we want. We used piled up vacation days to travel. Three weeks was the norm. We used short weekend trips to test our packing and how the bike was set up.. Make and remake plans. We plan a year ahead of time as well as keeping a list of where we would like to go. We retired when I was 57 she was 52. The key for us was to decide what our priorities are then live as if we had about 1/2 or 2/3ds the take home that we actualy did. Our only regret is that we didn't make that decision back when we were your age. Oh, we did...