View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #62
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Beer on the DR650

Labor Day 2010 I rode solo into the central Oregon desert for a one night camp and was to meet up with friends in their RV's for four more days of camping.

Packed very light as I was only tent camping the first night. Stopped at the last store and got an 18 pack of cold beer and placed in the top box, wrapped in my fleece jacket and vest (yes it's a medium sized Samsonite luggage box). It was another hour ride on dirt roads to the campsite. The beer was still drinkable when arriving at camp.

Had several cold ones, set up camp and had another in the shade of the bike. It was still sunny and the weather was still warmer than I enjoy. Enjoyed sitting on the box of cold beer with my back against the side cover of the bike having a beer and chips and salsa.

Woke up a little before dark and decided to go for a short ride around the neighborhood. It was about 10 miles and made a nice loop back to camp. Saw many jack rabbits and enjoyed the ride.

None of the beers ruptured, but was riding gently to preserve the valuable liquid payload. Met up with the friends the next day and enjoyed more beer with them. Had sent more beer with them in the truck/camper to keep my weight down.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote