View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #93
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
Veintidós Días al Este

We heard AG rummaging around well before sunrise, just waiting to see the first light. At the first hint, we heard the BANG BANG BANG! “COME ON GUYS LET’S GET READY AND GO,” in his typical quiet voice. We had another one of Bill Nichol’s little gem’s, well at least the easy half of it, on the docket and it wasn’t going to be a huge feat but we wanted to make it back early for a New Years Eve dinner in town. Waking up early did give me a chance to take a few prerrrrty pictures of the bay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty soon we hopped on the trail and headed out to the highway.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is not too rocky or technical and can be ridden pretty fast. There is really only one little thing to worry about.

Photobucket

It’s pretty amazing what the spikes can do, straight thorough a hand guard with out a problem.

Photobucket

BABs soon remembered one good little thing to think about when doing bike setup for Baja. These are OK:

Photobucket

But these are ideal:

Photobucket

Before long we hopped on a fast 2-track and headed back for camp.

Photobucket

I really don’t know how to explain it but there is just something about riding side by side with a good friend, power sliding around the corners, knowing that they will stay in their lane and just railing it. Perhaps slightly overstated, but Baja is the best place in the world to do this. There are so many fast, sandy 2-tracks. I won’t admit it but I kind had a little pumpkin envy riding next to the 525. Mainly, I just wish the ol’ DRZ had a 6th gear, I can’t tell you how many times I have wished that wish though.

Photobucket

It is always cool seeing these “century plants” in bloom, and there is just something about the boojum tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We made it back early, took a shower in maybe the hottest showers I have experienced in Baja, albeit with no water pressure, and rode into town. George, his wife, BABs and I all decided on the lobster.

Photobucket

It was good but not exactly Mexico prices at $40 (US) with a couple drinks and lobster stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, no complaints though.

We headed back and lit a fire but it was no use, there was no way we were making it till the New Year. Apparently there use to be a huge party in Bahia de los Angeles for New Years Eve but after “Papa” Díaz passed away, without his iron fist, things got out of hand at the parties so those days are gone, according to AG. So we just called it an early night.
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote