View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,147
Texas Hill Country During the Coldest Week Of The Century

I wanted to visit my daughter and get away from the bitter cold in Kansas City so I headed south to Austin, Texas. I was going to ride but the day before I was to leave Mother Nature filled up the roads with snow and ice so I hauled my bike south.

I left Kansas City on Thursday, February 3rd and was to meet my daughter on Friday. This is normally an eleven hour trip but leaving a day early would give me plenty of time to stop at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum in Oklahoma City and the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas. Because of the weather I would need the two days to get to Austin.

The highway was fine until Oklahoma City where I stopped to visit the Cowboy Museum. It was closed because of the snow and ice so I pushed on down the highway. From that point on the interstate was snow and ice packed. My speed got slower as I went south and the snow got deeper. It is not suppose to be that way. Texas is suppose to be warm.

I finally made it to Fort Worth for the night. The first place I tried to check in was $340 a night because it was the Friday before the Superbowl. I called around found Miss Molly’s B and B. I’m not a fan of B & B’s but its location was in the Stockyards area and the price was right. I checked in and when right to a late dinner. When I finally got to my room this is what I found.

Not large but it had its own bathroom but no TV. I was so tired not having a TV was not a concern.

The next morning I woke to this.

This is what I was trying to get away from and it followed me to Texas!

I continue on to Austin. Normally a 3 hour trip took 6 hours just to get to Waco, halfway between Fort Worth and Austin.

I discovered two things on my drive to Texas:

1. The state of Texas has no snow removal equipment or if that have it they don’t use it.

2. Texans have no business driving in the snow. They go into panic mode with a little rain, add snow and they all become idiots. Texans, when it snows stay inside! You are not equipped to handle such stress.

Once in Austin, I had a great time with my daughter. We went to San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show and saw Toby Keith in concert and I was invited to go to a Superbowl party in the company of 15 pretty young ladies.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote