View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #37
Nialis
Super Motarded

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
The 85 was a VF-F, not a VF-R bike. The VF-R line (with the exception of the VF1000R) started in 1986 and did NOT have the cam oiling issues. Then you had an 86 750 F1, and 86 700F1, I think an 86 700F2 and an 87 700F2. The F1's had round "racing" style gauges, the F2's had more "dash" like gauges... Personally (I have over 100k miles on both an 87 700 and an 86 750), I liked the 700 motor better.

Dead reliable engines for the most part, the charging system (as a whole) was the weak link. I had one rotor cook it's wires inside the cover (broken connection), several plugs roast themselves to death and went through 4 Reg/Rec units (lasted roughly 30k miles). The engines do run hot and I installed a manual fan switch to keep ahead of the curve when I know I'd be stopping for awhile in traffic. Past that, it's the normal old bike limitations, spares are hard to come by and expensive when you find them. The wheels are odd sized, forks are REALLY skinny and flex like crazy, shock will be trash at this point in life, etc... I love the bikes, hate that I sold mine (could only afford one bike and had modded mine into a street legal racer that wasn't fitting with my recently acquired live-in GF) and will buy one again sometime in the future... if I don't find an RC30 first.

I had an HRC exhaust, '94 F2 (cartridge) front end, F2 rear wheel, and put an 86 750 motor in the 87 700 chassis. Oh yeah, there was a fox shock out back and a corbin seat under my behind... I think I had some sort of rearsets on there too.

Isn't this pic taken near Highlands North Carolina?
00' Aprilia Pegaso Cube "Pandora"
78' Suzi GS 750E
74' Harly Ableson Sportster
49' Hardly Davidson "Panny"

Love of My life...
88' Honda NT650GT "Pagosa" You will always be missed
Nialis is offline   Reply With Quote