Thread: Homemade Bread
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #194
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Anjou bakery, in eastern washington state. Actually a very good bakery, though I think they've stopped doing much bread nowadays. . . . disappointing.

I've been to your bakery, and seen that wonderful rotary oven that you used to have- good stuff, great bread.

Nowadays, I live a few blocks from Acme bakery in berkeley- very good bread for when I don't make my own. I go to Semifreddi's from time to time also- their bread is not quite as much to my tastes, but them make a seeded baguette, which I love.
I don't know why I never worked at Acme. Always chasing the almighty $$ I suppose. They are still regarded as one of the best bakeries in the country. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they have done and continue to do. Semifreddis bread has never been great, but it sure was a good experience for me! Have you done the 5:00pm line up at Tartine in the city? I'd love to try their bread. It's supposed to be pretty impressive!

I can't believe you've been to my place! How cool! That oven was a Llopis Spanish oven. Wood fired. The hearth rotated, and if the oven was kept full it was an unbelievable oven. Whoever designed it understood oven design as well as bread baking exceptionally well. It is a perfect design in many ways. I really miss it!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote