View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Day 2: Assessment.

Tuesday was a long day at work... I just wanted to be at home in the shed. Jess and I started by cleaning up the shed and started to gingerly remove bits and pieces, and try and get a feel for the extent of the damage. The photo that sums it up the best is here.

The tank and fairing are obviously damaged, which in turn has crushed the left hand side radiator and all the related front end subframes..

I keep looking at the the oil I see dripping off the engine and out of the bashplate. I'm worried abut what I'm going to find underneath. A cracked engine case or sump? fingies x'd...

As we remove the front fairing we find a yellow bottle completely squashed flat between the fairing and the tank where they're crushed and oil everywhere.. it's the first of many surprises Im sure Mike has left for me.. it turns out it's the oil bottle for the Scott-oiler Mike fitted to lube the chain. Somehow he mounted it inside the fairing, and it got crushed in the accident. Hopefully it's the sole cause of the oil dripping off the engine.

At the end of the first day we've got the outer layers off and can see that generally she's not too bad. The main chassis appears straight, the forks, wheels and engine appear intact and serviceable. To say that I'm relieved is an understatement.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 03:42 AM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote