View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #201
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
... when BMW recently tried the vertical headlight arrangement as the face of the 1200ST, and by all accounts it was an excellent sport touring bike, its polarizing styling eventually doomed it and the bike was discontinued.
Good analogy, Gadget Boy, but is it so clear styling killed the 1200ST?

I liked the concept when it came out, and for my needs it would have been a much better fit than the Monster I bought instead.

But here in Oz it was just about as costly as the RT by the time you added bags; had no electronic cruise even as an option, even though the RT had it std here on an identical motor; seemed to have a peculiar, half-committed ride position with the 'bars too low and the 'pegs too high and far forward; had a narrow seat with sharp edges - again a half-committed cross between sport and touring; had small, oval dials on a cluster borrowed from the GS; had mirrors bolted to the handlebars where they affect steering, rather than on the fairing; and finally fuel capacity at about 20 litres meant range was okay but nothing special.

I can see why people like them now, but I'm not convinced styling was the main sticking point for sales at the time.

Or to put it another way, with optional cruise, better instruments, a natural rider posture, really good seating and a few more litres in the tank, plus dropping a few pounds perhaps, they might still be stealing sales from RTs.

Quote from a review of the day:

Quote:
The pure touring BMW R1200RT, on which this design is based, is a consummate motorcycle. It handles delightfully and benefits from the added protection afforded by a full fairing. The ST is more aggressive looking, but the difference is skin deep. It is a compromise on the pure touring pedigree of the RT that lacks the adrenaline-kick to be truly exciting.
And from another review:

Quote:
To me it appears that the ST is simply a case of BMW ticking boxes off. It has a big tourer in the RT, a sports bike in the forth coming R1200S (which BMW claim will rival Ducatis in performance) and a big-trailie with the GS and needed to tick the Sports tourer box, which it has done in the cheapest possible way. The problem is that the sports tourer class is so competitive simply bodging a bike together isn’t good enough.

Moronic screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 09:45 PM Reason: Added quotes
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote