View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #611
gonzomup
ChainGang Recidivist

Oddometer: 739
Thanks for the extensive thread covering REV'IT! gear, Anthony. I have a Dakar pant and Off-Track jacket from 2007 that I really like a lot. I need to think about replacing them soon and I'm wondering if you can point me at the current, similar pant and jacket; if you can help with sizing comparisons, too, that would be helpful. I'm a pretty trim and fit guy, so the Euro' sizing and cut of the Dakar and Off-Track were perfect for me. I hope that REV'IT! still has some pieces that are cut similarly.

All-in-all I was pretty pleased with the REV'IT! kit, although I was a bit disappointed in the durability. The pants started to show some wear and seams at the knees started to open up after about a season of daily commuting. (I can't remember, but I think I may have washed the pants in a top-load washer. I realise that's a no-no.) The interior rain layer was a bit of a downer, too at that time; as a daily commuter it was kind of annoying to have to zip it in for heavier rain and then hope the outer layers dried somewhat before my next ride. I realise now that I should have done a better job renewing the DWR, so the limitations there are my own doing.

For those reasons I went to a two-piece Roadcrafter for a season. It's an okay piece of kit, but, frankly, the styling is nonexistent and the technology is a bit dated, not to mention their approach to design is pretty ham-fisted in my opinion. And I actually started to see some wear-and-tear on it, too, so I wasn't impressed with how little I gained in durability for the extra thickness and stiffness of materials. The Roadcrafter kit functioned just fine, but there are things I liked about the REV'IT! kit a helluva lot more -- the fit, the versatility, the suppleness of the pieces, the venting was great...I could go on. All of those reasons are why I really would like to go back to it and give it another go. (Yes, yes, I know some people will flame me about my opinions and experience with the Roadcrafter...tough, they'll have to suck it up; I'm just describing my own experience.)

At any rate, I appreciate any thoughts you can offer. I'm more than happy to dig through the REV'IT! and RevZilla pages for detailed information; I'd just like some help getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Bohdan
In short, don't be put off by F800GS reliability reports on the net, or any reliability reports on the net for that matter - a few posts get cross-referenced and before you know it, your electric toaster will kill us all on 31/12/99...
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

gonzomup screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 08:07 PM
gonzomup is offline   Reply With Quote