Thread: Trials Bicycles
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #100
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0synge0o View Post
You might look into a decent set of knee and elbow-pads to protect the pointy bits, knee-caps are pretty easy to break .

I find myself getting injured more on low speed bike and moto stuff than high speed, but then again I fall over more often doing really low speed stuff so maybe it's just a numbers game...

Great thread!
I'm thinking I may go ahead and order the G-Form knee guards to go with the shin guards I already have. They are lightweight and should take the edge off of the hard impacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
It takes a while to overcome what your brain is telling you to do. The more you work at it, the more the movements will become automatic. Good thing practicing is as fun and rewarding as it is.
It was scary fun to practice that stuff, I think that's why I like it so much.

My comfort zone is definitely expanding so I'm able to keep pushing for a little more.

Quote:
eh...it happens. When I first started riding I broke just about everything on the bike but the frame itself. It's part of learning to dump it every once in a while and most of the time the bike will be fine.
I've been throwing motorcycles on the ground for nine years now, I'm really good at it.

Quote:
I know the instinct is to wear more protection but then you're not addressing the root of the problem which is usually a need for more aggro pedals and stickier shoes.
It's interesting that you mention that. I was wearing my running shoes today and I pretty much immediately knew that the were the wrong choice but I didn't want to go home to change them. My feet were slipping all over the pedals. My Sketchers with anti slip soles are MUCH better for riding.

Quote:
that's typical, you'll figure it out. look further over your shoulder and remember...envision your hips going from where they are to where they need to be.
A couple of things here...

My right foot is my good foot and I've found that it's easier for me to bounce left if I switch to my left foot forward. Is this normal or a bad habit to get into?

I also realized today that I wasn't switching the direction that my front wheel was pointing and that was why I was losing my balance so quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to offer pointers and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Charla screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 11:04 PM
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote