View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Shibby! OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
[Day 2]

Up at the crack of dawn, I was the second one to rustle out of bed. I was eager to see the sun rising and get on with the adventure. I’ll confess, Malcolm’s snoring and other bodily functions helped the situation.

Getting on my shoes and wondering outside I discovered the scenery that surrounded us. I walked down the beach to check out the lowering tide and to see if I could spot anything cool. I’ve always been amazed by the ocean.

During my walk I took these pics:

By the time I got back from my stroll down the sand bar, Demi, Malcolm, and Dan were up and about enjoying the rising sun. After awhile we were all out of bed and eager for some breaky! As usual, the food was fantastic and consisted mostly of tortias, beans, eggs, ham/bacon, coffee and orange juice. If you come to Baja those are your standards along with sea food, and taco’s/enchiladas, etc. No complaints from this guy. I couldn’t get enough!

We were off to a slow start, but soon enough we were back on the road. There’s something confidence inspiring about a full tank of gas. It’s a good feeling in Baja.

Busting down the gravel road we soon catch our newfound buddies slowly bouncing along. They were no doubt jealous of our bikes and youth, however the real credit goes to them. The roads they were doing, with what they were riding, and at what age they were was inspiring. Good on them for traveling the road less traveled. It was not the last time we’d bump into them.

Shortly after I passed Dan I stopped for this picture:

Awhile later we arrived at the world famous CoCo’s Corner. Anybody remotely in tune with offroad racing in Baja knows of CoCo and his place. His good buddy was looking over the property while CoCo was getting another surgery on his amputated leg. I can’t recall his name, but have seen him in pictures before and he proved to be very humorous and friendly. We signed the guest book, had a beer or two, relaxed a bit, and then Dan and Co came thumping down the road. We visited once again and said our fairwell. We had miles to make and the day was only getting warmer!

Back on the scoots and bouncing down the rough roads we passed some beautiful scenery and some interesting riding. At times it was hard pack and rough, then sandy through the washes, then gravel, and then we got into a real wash. The gravel was deep, and then it turned into small puddle and stream crossings. At times even some clay based mud. Definitely a switch from the riding we experienced so far on the trip. We were riding down a valley with steep rock on either side. At this point it was hot. Really hot! I’m sure everybody was feeling it. Here’s where my hands got so hot, my gloves became moist from sweating causing me to get blisters under my half formed calices. I know that doesn’t sound great, but it sucked. Every time I stopped the pain would return and holding onto the bars became difficult.

Shortly after the water sections we came across a rarity in Baja. Shade. We took full advantage of it and stripped some gear off to cool down. This gave us a time to refuel with both water and power bars and check out the surroundings. Here’s where we came across the Choea (sp?) cactus pictured below:

These little cactus spikes are so sharp it’s ridiculous. The lightest touch and they would easily stick into the hard rubber soul of a MX boot. We feared one of these would make quick work of a tire and tube.

Once cooled down to the best of our ability (notice all the black gear combined with +30 temps and no shade?), we took off one at a time. Conditions weren’t improving and we were once again behind schedule and feared more night riding might have to be done. The effort required riding through this type of terrain and moving speeds we maintained weren’t great.

Saddled up and off I go. I was the last to leave which is a common thing. Soon faced with extremely deep rutted sand and pea gravel. The going was tough, but it was going. I was just starting to get some flow when I rounded a corner and my heart sank. In the midst of a deep gravel whoop section was a rider down, and others surrounding, bike still on it’s side. Not something you want to see at the best of times, especially in a foreign country 10’s of miles away from any “roadway”.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 08:48 AM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote