View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #144
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
There is NO base map in the Voyager. When you turn it on the first time, the map screen is indeed empty. You cannot load Garmin-style maps into the Voyager. The only thing you can load are files that contain LINES. These lines may represent streets, roads, trails, tracks. You make the file containing lines using other resources, like openstreetmaps - converting streets to lines and then load them into the Voyager. In use, tracks you make while riding are shown as black lines.

You can download the Voyager User manual from the TrailTech web site.

You will be suprised at how limited the unit really is.

OTOH, YOU control what is on the display and for some, that is all that they require. Being able to make maps (as gray lines) is all that some riders want - they see all the other info as clutter.
Well bummer........

That, along with no tach, kills the Voyager unit for me. I had a Vapor in the past and when I came across the Voyager I was really excited because I was hoping it would be a Vapor with at least a basic GPS built in. But without even basic street maps (including updates) my iPhone makes a better GPS.

To bad really because it would have been nice to have it all in one package instead of having to mount multiple devices in the limited space on my bike.

EDIT: Correction.....there is a tach display (see pages #7 and #24 in the manual).

With that said, the Voyager does have some features that my 60C and Zumo do not have and is a good first attempt at a new product. So I have to give TrailTech credit for what they put together.

Hopefully over time it will evolve into something that I can't live without.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 02:31 PM
Jon_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote