View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #47
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
so I bought a Zumo 550 to use with the G4, question since the GPS has the highest priority with the G4 does that mean if I use the Zumo's built in XM I won't be able to use the intercom??? wanna know before I spend money on XM antenna

thanks

Dan
Well, first off, the Zumo's XM music isn't broadcast over BT, so you don't have to worry about it always taking precedence over your intercom. You can only hear it from the audio port on the side of the mount. My Dad has the Zumo 550 and the G4 so I am familiar with them since I set them up for him. The Zumo 550 definitely missed the boat with BT since it doesn't support sending the XM music over A2DP, However, there are ways to get around this. .

When you connect the G4 and the Zumo 550, you are connecting on a "mono" headset connection. Basically, the GPS voice commands and if you sync your cell to the GPS will come over this connection. You can force it to play stored MP3's on the Zumo over this BT connection, but the music quality lacks over this type of connection. The best option he found was either using a cord from the audio out of the Zumo to the input on the G4 or just buy a small BT transmitter that you plug into the audio output of the Zumo cradle and basically transmits your music and GPS instructions over A2DP. You can then sync this BT transmitter with the G4 and have your music wirelessly over BT.

Even before the 3.0 update, we could get my Dad's G4 to accept both the Zumo's 550's mono connection for phone calls and then a A2DP music from the XM, but when a call came in, it would break the music connection and would never resume until you restarted either the BT device or G4. This was very frustrating and a major PITA. I haven't had a chance to see with this new 3.0 update if both should work together better, but that was my understanding also.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 05:42 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote