03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
On Any Sunday
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Columbia County
Originally Posted by pvangel
recieved this email today, pretty good!
Who was Stanley Woods?
In 1923, Who Was:
1. President of the largest steel company?
2.. President of the largest gas company?
3. President of the New York stock Exchange?
4. Greatest wheat speculator?
5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?
6. Great Bear of Wall Street?
These men were considered some of the world’s most successful of their days..
Now, 88 years later, the history book asks us, if we know what ultimately became of them..
1. The president of the largest steel company.
Charles Schwab, died a pauper.
2. The president of the largest gas company, Edward Hopson, went insane.
3. The president of the NYSE, Richard Whitney, was released from prison to die at home.
4. The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cooger, died abroad penniless.
5. The president of the Bank of International Settlement, shot himself.
6 The Great Bear of Wall Street, Cosabee Livermore, also committed suicide
However, In that same year, 1923, the winner of the world’s most important road race, the Isle of Man T.T., was Stanley Woods.
What became of him?
He won 10 T.T. races between 1923 and 1939, He lived on the Isle of Man and rode motorcycles all his life. He lapped the island circuit at 82 mph in 1957 (The Golden Jubilee) aged 54. He was a wealthy man when he died aged 90.
Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!