Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #19658
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,323
6th place out of 48. Better than I expected. Probably could have placed better if my sprint were more consistent. Still, got $$ back to cover race entry. a good day overall. Massive head wind from the 500 meter all the way to start/finish. I stayed about 1/3 to halfway back in the pack most of the race. Let the cowboys go out and smoke themselves off the front. No one could get a break started due to the wind bringing them back every lap. I was in good position to react if anyone started to get organized. flat finish with a 3-4% grade hill on the back section. That topped out and dropped off after a sharp left hook. Easily up to 30+ mph w/out pedaling. I could consistently make up 10-12 spots in that downhill section just by clicking down and pedaling on the inside. Fast, sharp left-hander that swirled next to a pond on one side and open field on the right. Full-on, 20mph+ headwind all the way to the finish. At the top of the downhill on the last lap, I was grouped up front with 4. We all took off for the finish after the left hander and gutted it through the wind to the finish. I should have placed better than 6th, but I clicked down a gear thinking I could pull a bit more speed. Too much and it slowed my sprint way down. Only lost one position from that mistake, but still placed better than I expected. I wanted at least top ten and did it. Now to recover, replenish and race a hilly 43 mile RR in the morning.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote