View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #255
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I don't believe this is a dry sump engine. Dry sump engines have a greater tendency to pump oil into the airbox in general and my K12 does it at high revs so much that BMW included a drain hose. The higher pressures of the boxer engine would make this even worse unless BMW came up with a better air/oil separator than they currently have. Also, lowering the engine very much would take away lean angle and not necessarily help the handling. Dropping the crankshaft 4 inches would relegate you to parade duty next to the Harleys. Honda found out that lowering the CG even an inch changes the handling/steering characteristics of a motorcycle for the worse. I'm actually trying to raise the CG of my K12 to see if I can get it to steer as easily as my GSA. Also, on the 2006 CBR1000RR the bike handles a lot better when you put on a bigger 190/55 rear tire and push the forks down in the top bridge. Water cooling the heads makes the most sense though, probably with an electric water pump like they do on their cars
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote