View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #73
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Guess it's time to throw in a few more from my collection and make room for some new ones that will hopefully be added starting next month.

May 11, 2008 - From the BLM Visitor's Center at the Yukon River, looking north at the pipeline before leaves pop out and obscure the view -

May 11, 2008 - Around Mile 29 looking north -

As you can see, the road here is relatively narrow, twisty, and hilly. Many of us suspect that DOT keeps it that way in hopes of discouraging tourists from continuing on any farther.

May 12, 2008 - Looking down at the Coldfoot airstrip with the braided floodplain of the Koyukuk River still showing signs of the previous winter -

May 13, 2008 - For those foolish enough to challenge the Dalton before the end of May, there are some benefits not available later - such as ample natural refrigeration. This is a side channel of Gold Creek, around Mile 196.5 -

While the creek below has thawed and is flowing, the dome of ice formed of overflow during the winter is still holding out for warmer weather.

May 13, 2008 - The Kanuti Plain is covered with melting snow, and the Kanuti River is high, and flowing deep and dark -

May 12, 2008 - On the north side of Sukakpak Mt the Bettles River has its beginning high in the mountains of the Brooks Range -

June 6, 2008 - Pump Station 3 appears as a small town next to the highway in this photo from Mile 310 -

July 4, 2008 - Across the highway from Pump 3, and appearing peaceful and inviting, the Sag River has calmed down appreciably from a month and a half earlier -

August 10, 2008 - Sometimes the view isn't all it could be as the ever-present weather demonstrates its power -

July 4, 2008 - Mile 387 facing north, with the sun very close to its nadir at 11:00 PM -
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote