View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
That's the gearbox input seal. Hey, is the backside of the motor case dry? Behind the flywheel I mean. You can look back there with a small mirror. I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Also, is the front side of the gearbox case dry?

Hi. Just checked. The backside of the motorcase (behind flywheel) is mostly dry. There is a very slight black residue on the front in a few places.

The front side of the gearbox case is black, wet and oily. The bottom of the housing is also black, wet and oily. The clutch assy seems dry (I have not noticed clutch slippage). What it looks like is the leak originated at the gearbox side, the oil dripped/weeped down and across the inside bottom of the case. The oil started to weep up the inside face of the motor case (behind the flywheel).

I could see the outer case of the clutch splines and the input shaft splines. Both look shiny and new with out a drop of oil, dust, build-up etc.

Sorry, my camera optics cannot get in there. You can see some of the spotty black residue in places on the backside of the motorcase here: