View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
Kranked
Zen Master

Oddometer: 37
Talking ProCycle Saddlemen Gel foam & cover kit

I replaced the stock seat with the ProCycle Saddlemen Gel foam & cover kit for $165 USD from Procycle.us just a few days ago. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

I ordered it Thursday before Easter weekend and received it Tuesday after Easter weekend, shipped from Oregon to northern Ontario. USPS is much, much more efficient than the Canadian postal service in my experience. Also bought the Powermadd 2" handlebar risers from ProCycle but that review will be for another thread.

The seat kit comes without instructions but it's pretty obvious what you have to do to change the seat foam & cover. [Edit: Procycle states on their website: "Just stretch on the cover and staple it in place."]

The bike before the seat install but after the Powermadd 2" handlebar riser install.

Arrival of 2" Powermadd handlebar risers (small box) & gel/foam seat cover kit (bag)

Comparison: Seat kit vs stock seat on stock seat pan

After pulling the stock seat off the bike I used a tiny flathead screwdriver to remove the old staples from the seat pan, and also removed the metal L brackets that anchor the seat pan to the bike. After fitting the new seat to the seat pan I used a staple gun to affix it to the seat pan - it didn't take more than a half hour from start to finish. If you can recruit another set of hands to help stretch the seat vinyl it will go much faster. I put the stock metal L brackets back on the seat pan and wrenched it back on the bike. I added blue threadlocker to the threads holding the metal L brackets. After owning a 2008 KLR650, that everything rattled off of... the rule is if it's a single cylinder motorcycle and it has threads on it - all threads get blue threadlocker.

New seat kit stapled to old pan

After shot

Close up

Fit and finish of the seat kit is quite good. Looks great. Only had a chance to go for a quick 20 minute ride after installation. The seat surface is a bit slippery, I like that. The front of the seat at the tank junction is slightly wider than the stock seat and is slightly lower than the stock seat. I can touch the ground a bit better with my feet than I could with the stock seat. [Keep in mind I have a 31.5" inseam and Kenda Trakmaster knobbie tires] The new seat is noticeably dished at the front (compared to stock) sliding you towards the tank, which will be a bonus when trail riding, when not standing on the footpegs. On even, flat ground, like the street, I only have to shift my body back slightly to stay where the seat is wider, the extra butt support is certainly welcome. The seat feels hard but supportive to my posterior since the seat is brand new - I know it will require a break in period for it to soften some. Also my twig and berries are happier since they don't feel slammed into the front of the seat anymore.

I'll edit this post to add more info once the seat has been suitably tested. All in all a necessary (for me), inexpensive upgrade for $165 USD and a little of my own labour.

Thanks ProCycle & Saddlemen.

Kranked screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 11:03 AM
Kranked is offline   Reply With Quote