View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 465
(FAKE) Alaskan Adventure Ride

I’ve been debating for a while whether or not I should write up this little story but I have to admit, l love looking at these pictures and writing my first little story, Baja Single-Line Tour, was pretty fun too. I took a ton of pictures up there and so here it goes, my take on probably the most well documented destination around here since I have already done the second (not to say that it is not justified though).

So FAKE, why?

Yea, I kind of break the main theme on this one; I didn’t even ride my bike up. Yea, I trailerd my KLR up, can you believe it? I know what you are thinking, but I can handle the ridicule…I have thick skin. I do have my own justification though (well it convinced me at least). But first, a little overview:

Me (Zach) and my girl (Tina) were lucky enough to get the opportunity to spend some time exploring Alaska.

We were accompanied by an ugly dog named Chuwe, aka Chubacca, aka Rat-Dog, aka Rat-Dog-Fish-Face………:

We did some riding 2-up:

And I did quite a bit of riding alone:

Saw some perrrrrrty sunsets:

And even did a bit of hiking:

We saw a big mountain:

And I found a pinch of mud:

Saw a few glaciers:

And caught a fish or two (or sometimes just tried):

Found some cool mushrooms:

And rode to some mountaintops (or as close as I could get):

I rode a bunch of beach:

And saw some old mines:

Spent some time with the family:

And did the little Haul Road thing-a-ma-bob:

Saw some animals:

And even some good pavement:

Saw a million million-dollar views:

And found some cool stuff on the way back too:

Photobucket

But before we get going I need to justify myself first……

So, why would anyone trailer a KLR up to Alaska? Well, the main reason (but definitely not to blame everything on her) is that my baby wanted to come and what could I say about that? I figured taking my truck made more sense especially because she really wanted to take the Rat-Dog too. But first let me back up a bit, some people may be interested in how this came together. I was working for a smaller publically traded software company making cold calls for 2 years (I told you I had thick skin didn’t I), but they off-shored the team to the Philippines.

While I was working there I bought a 2008 KLR 650 off the showroom floor (the only acceptable color of course), a 4-plex and moved into one of the units, an F-250 after my Ranger died, a pop-top camper, and rebuilt my grandpa’s homemade trailer. Tina had her summer break from Nurse Practitioner School. However, my little sister, who is in Pharmacy School, is the one that planted the seed. She had to do 6 -week rotations at different pharmacies, so being the adventurous type, she chose Anchorage, Honolulu, Salt Lake City, and Denver. In addition, my parents decided to drive their camper van up there to meet her. I just so happened to be lucky enough to get laid off in time to join them, so I thought I would go up and see what the employment opportunities looked like.

Honestly, I would have loved to ride my bike up there but I’m not set up for that type of an adventure 2-up on my little old KLR at this point. After doing some rough calculations, for an extended trip up there, I figured that restaurants and hotels would outweigh the cost of gas in my truck. Also, my 2 year old bike already had 17,000 miles on it (27,353km) before the trip and I didn’t want to wear it out too fast. But I have to be honest, I am a dirt biker at heart so putting bikes on trailers is not foreign to me and you can go a lot more places without the extra stuff.

Either way, I wimped out and towed it up there and judge me if you must, hopefully I can make up for it though. But for this little story I think I am going to let may little point-n-shoot and Mother Nature do most of the talking, they are much more eloquent than I.
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote