View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,067
What is in the 20 track loader file.

In the interest of restoring clarity, let me describe what is in the 20 track ready to load and ride file.

Overview of the GDR including Canada. The tracks in this file are current and are different from others prepared in the past. These tracks take into account any closures and route changes made up through last season. Once new maps are published, I will review them for any changes and post an updated file for people to use.

This is the directory of the 20 track files in the ready to load and ride file. Note that there are some alternates included in the file. Those who have actually ridden the GDR will likely tell you that it is important to have the alternate routes available while you are on the ride because of the potential for wet weather that may make the primary path impassable in some areas. I also included some side trips that are not available in other versions of the tracks (ghost towns, etc). These can be easily by-passed by sticking to the primary route. I also included 665 waypoints that include fuel, dealers by brand, points of interest, camping, and the like.

The Canada portion of the GDR is unique to this file.

Maps of the US portion including various side trips available to points of interest and alternates to the main route.

I also produced a separate comprehensive planning file that has many more tracks available. The purpose of the other file is to assist people in their planning. It contains the bicycle only sections and the restricting gates that prohibit motorized travel so that people can more easily interpret the ACA maps for the route. It has other features as well, including my friend Big Dog's tracks so you can see the differences between his route from several years ago and the current route. Here is a sample from the file.

Red is bicycle only.

Hope this keeps things clear and that these files prove useful to others that may be pursuing this trip.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 07:22 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote