View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #5523
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
$12 rear rack

I wanted a wider rear rack that would support things like tents and dry bags a little better but I could also use my Givi adapter plate (see above post) for when I want a top case.

The aftermarket is still pretty scarce on racks and I didn't feel like spending the money on a Touratech or Happy Trail quite yet so decided to go the cheap route.

I bought a 14" by 17" black plastic cutting board at Target for $12:

I figured out the pattern I wanted to go around the love handles:

I used a fine tooth finishing blade in my table saw, some files, and a sanding block to get it cut out and smoothed up. The plastic melts pretty good when you're cutting, but it worked out.

For mounting just the rack, I used 40mm SS button head bolts, fender washers, and 1/2" tall nested spacers sandwiched between washers.

Here's the rack mounted w/o the Givi plate:

I replace the two rear bolts with 50mm long socket heads and the Givi plate mounts on. Much sturdier now that it's sitting on top of the new rack:

At some point I'll get out the drill and jigsaw and make some tie down holes or slots if I think I need them.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote