Thread: Alcohol Stoves
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #402
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Up in Canada the right stuff is everywhere. Any gas station has good old Canadian gas line antifreeze, Canadian tire has their own brand, it will come on sale in season six for a 1.49. I have also bought it at home hardware and home depot has it in the paint department. The right stuff can also be found a MEC in 1 liter containers or Napa can get it in 4 liter jugs. I suspect fondue fuel would also work but I have never tried it. Stick with any denatured alcohol, or methyl alcohol and I think you would be fine. no drinkeeeee

IMHO this type of stove is great. I have used one similar for 4 seasons and it always works, there is nothing to break. I have never had a multi fuel stove last me for over 3 months without needing repair, I have tried MSR, Brutton and others over the years. They do indeed use more fuel but it seems like its always easy to get for me the fact they work sort of out weights the grief in getting more fuel. Someone compared it to a single burner Colman stove. I actually bought one on a trip 5 years ago when my last rendition of the MSR multi fuel died. It stood up well to road abuse but actually wore a hole through my saddle bag, sort of like a brick. I only wish they sold beer in the funky aluminum bottles in Canada.

drbike screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 01:47 PM
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote