View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #1534
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOILMAN View Post
I have an '08 450 EXCR and bought a TM Designs rear chain guide supposedly speced for the bike. I do have a SuperSprox 52T sprocket. The guide won't fit. Too narrow and won't drop enough for the 52T and the front bolt area will not allow the upper chain guard piece to fit it. Do any of ya'll use a TM guide on your EXC's? I'll call TM when they open.
I'm running the TM design guide on my 530 along with 14-52 gearing. I used a roto file bit with an air grinder to extended the groove that's machined into the guide for the sprocket to clear (you could do the same thing by hand with a good round file). The 52 tooth would hit the guide without a little extra clearance added. Another possibility is to add an extra link or two on the chain, the added length would push the rear wheel back a bit and give you some more clearance on your guide.

I also added a washer as a shim to get the chain centered in the guide when installed. Other than that it's a solid unit that should hold up well to abuse on the trail.

Here's a shot of the TM guide next to the worn out stock unit. The red arrow is where I added the washer to center the chain in the guide.

And a side shot...I also have a Bullet Proof Designs brace to keep the tabs on the swing arm in one piece.

The BPD brace has taken quite a few hits on the trail

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote