View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #35
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 456
Fist Day in Denali

So, I mentioned last time we pulled into the Salmon Bake in Denali checked our email and hung out for a bit. This is when Tina found out that something happened during her registration process for NP school and it didn’t go through. Consequently, her name wasn’t added to the list on two classes that she had to take the next semester to graduate on time, those two classes also just so happened to be full.

This was devastating to her. She sent a couple emails to see what could be done, but all we could do was go on for the time being.

We decided to try and camp in the Park Campground for the night so we left the Salmon Bake and went a few miles in to the second campground and found a spot. After we parked, we walked around an tried to figure out where to pay but we couldn’t find anything, so we just went to bed.

The next morning we woke up to a knocking on the door…..it was the camp host. Apparently Denali is a little different than what we are used to, in more ways than one (I will expand on that later). But the camp hosts were nice as can be, they politely said that you had to go to one of the buildings at the front of the park and pay for camping there and said as long as we took off as soon as possible it would not be an issue. We were fine with that; I am not a fan of camping in “campgrounds”.

We decided to go to the Park Office and figure out how this place worked and go for a little hike.

We walked from the front of the park down to a little pond. We sat there for a minute and noticed we were sitting right on top of a beaver’s house. We watched them swim around for a while but I wasn’t able to get a decent picture of them.

We sat there for a while, then decided to venture on. Then we found a strange mushroom, I’m far from knowing even a little about mushrooms but it was a new one for me. (maybe Cowboy can fill us in)

Then we found a tree, I think it had cancer….

It was obvious that this place was a bit different from what we were used to…

After our hike, we needed to find a home for the next couple of days.

I figured we would be able to find something off the Denali Highway so we decided to check it out. We found a decent pull-off a coupe miles after it turned to dirt and called it good enough.

Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote