View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #93
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,835
Saturday morning getting ready for KTM Mike's ride.

The pace was brisk and photo opportunities were not frequent. We zigzagged up and down the Blue Ridge escarpment between NC 18 and US 421 (actually a bit west of 421) about 50/50 hardtop and gravel. Fun stuff. Three cheers for KTM Mike and his badass LC4!

This was as far west as we went.

Back to Rally HQ

So at that point, things get a little blurry. We were in Freeborne's bar, then there was a campfire, someone handed me a mason jar (maybe two), a hammock was involved...

Needless to say, we got a late start on Sunday. We had yet another rendezvous, this time with Lucky. He rode over from Morganton, and we had another well timed encounter in Vannoy. Now he knows about the high friction aggregate the DOT uses in Wilkes County.

It was pretty warm once we dropped off the Blue Ridge for good. We all agreed that we would have traded our bikes for canoes at Oxford Dam. We capped it off with fresh and delicious Thai cuisine and iced coffee in Conover.

We bid our farewells and headed back to the house. I sought the nearest sofa I could find and slept until Layla got home. She won her downriver race at the Cheoah. Three cheers for Layla!

As always, thanks for looking!