View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #41
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
As I was drawing the Utah tracks, I ran into several places where the GWT goes where no motor vehicle could possibly go. I ran smack into straight up cliffs, and straight over mountains too steep for any road, and no visible signs of even a hiking trail. In one long segment the line on the map follows a mountain ridgeline for many miles, yet there is no sign of a road anywhere near there. I also read that there are competing forces in the organizing of the GWT, some pushing for hiking trails and others pushing for dirt roads. Apparently they can't agree on one official route, which is what leads to multiple parallel routes. So it seems there is no such thing as the "official" GWT. It's just a collection of possible North-South routes that can be connected together forming a great adventure.
Sounds like "we" should pick our prefered motorcycle route(s) and publish it on the standard web sites?

Since I am going to Prescott for the weekend, I think I will take my 610 and ride from Cave Creek to I-40 and see what it is like.

I have been looking at optons but untill I get forest service maps, not sure what is legal. Also Bob Nickelson (retired from Honda Sports Dept) lives there and helped layout some sections. I will see what he knows.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT AZ.gpx (1,002.0 KB, 65 views)

Countdown screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 03:38 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote