View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #239
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Cannonshot,

Just getting started reading this one - excellent as always. Thanks for your effort!

p.s. I would hate to be your photo hosting website, you certainly are getting your money's worth .

Jordan
Thanks Jordan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
A friend and myself had the opportunity to hop on a few of your tracks over this past weekend. We stayed just south of Munising at my friends cabin and spent two cold, windy, wet days testing my new bike and just having some fun. Put on 348 miles and only two low speed flops, but had a blast!

We made mostly our own way around, but we did see a few miles of the UPAT.

A couple waypoints you might be interested in:

A new gas station and grocery store at: N46 15.855 W86 55.727

There is a trail to the Silver Falls that splits here and is only a .6 mile ride right to the edge of the falls on a 2 track: N46 26.553 W86 58.153

And if you ever have a chance, this is pretty cool here, reminds me of The Shire: N46 26.191 W87 19.116 and 2.6 miles of road to the south.

Thanks again!

Lucas
Thanks Lucas. I was in Munising myself on Saturday. I also drove past the Traunik station between Trenary and Chatham as well. Very familiar area as I have some friends with cabins within a few miles.

I'm glad you got to ride a little bit of the larger UPAT route.

Thanks for the waypoints. Just so there is no confusion for people riding the UPAT, two of these are not on the UPAT route.

I have more than a couple of thousand miles of tracks in the UP - most of which I post for people to download and enjoy. I share many of them via links in GPS Central. I'll add your suggestions to the master compilation of UP tracks.

For this thread, I try to keep the focus on the UPAT route itself. When I put this out I had to make some choices about what to by-pass and what to include to keep the route rideably efficient and hold it to a reasonable amount of time. The Silver Falls side trip is along the route and may be an interesting additional stop for some. I just verified that the two track you speak of is FR 2276 and that according to the MVUM it is open to all vehicles. My source reference says there is a small parking area before the falls and that there is a hike from there to the falls. It is probably not intended that motor vehicles to go all the way to the edge of the falls.

If you find that you will be spending more time in Munising, you may want to check out the variety of tracks I have that cover a wide band between Munising and Rapid River.

I'm very glad you are enjoying the riding in the UP. I think there are some fabulous opportunities there!

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 10:24 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote