View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #108
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
IMOP, the older Q2's seemed a lot more user friendly and work much better then the G4's and since they came out with the Q2 Pro version that now adds in the bluetooth A2DP streaming, you are set. Of course, they don't do the simultaneous 3 or 4 way conversations, but in my experience, that is a crap shoot anyways.

My Dad has the G4 and my wife and I have the Q2's and it was always frustrating trying to get all 3 active at once. Once we did, we tried not to disconnect them so we didn't have to go through that again.

For the 3 way pairing, the person above pretty much gave you what you need. The one guy that has both riders connected (In your case rider 1), can open the connections independently by pressing the respective A & B buttons on his helmet. So if he wants both open at the same time, he should press one button, let it open, then press the other and it "should" open. However, I can tell you from personal experience, this does not always work. If you can't connect someone, best thing is to just turn the main unit back on and back off, let both riders "sync" up, then try it again.

If the main rider uses the VOX to open their connection, it should attempt to open both A & B connections at the same time if riders are connected to both. Again though, our experience with this multi-connection was less then favorable. It was great once it was open, but getting to that point reliably was a pain. I think some our issues was the mixing of the Q2's & G4's even though Cardo says its backwards compatible, I think they still struggle. It sounds though like 3 G4's doesn't help it much either though?

I have a buddy that just upgraded from the Scala Q2's to the Sena's and I don't think they are totally happy with those either and are struggling with them. I haven't personally used the Sena's and have followed them closely, but some people seem to love 'em and others are not so happy. After 2 years of use, my wife and I are still very happy with our Q2's. I think when they die, we'll just upgrade to the pro models to get the A2DP. I'm not sure I want to mess with a G4's after using my Dad's some. The VOX seems way more "finicky" on the G4's and takes quite a bit longer to actually open the connection compared to the Q2's.

One thing we have learned is if you were used to something like Autocomm's VOX or maybe something else where you just started talking, that doesn't work very well with any of these BT headsets. Cardo, Sena, you name it. They all lack that "immediate" just start talking VOX option. It appears most of the headsets rely on a combination hearing a substantial short but aggressive sound along with air directly hitting the microphone at the same time. So, what it takes is you coming up with a sound you can make that also generates a bit of air coming out of your mouth. We use a "beep" sound that we make by puckering our lips and making a quick blast of air as you literally make a "beep" sound. Once you hear the connection open, then start talking. Nothing is lost and it works pretty reliably.
Now you have got us all wondering about your "miraculous sound"
Seriously, the way you try to open with VOX could easily be the source of much trouble! Maybe we should discuss this a little bit more also with other users chiming in on what kind of sound they make to start the session.
We should get over the "freaky image" that it has discussing such things (as I am glad you did) because it apparently is an important issue in operating these BT devices.

Personally, I just shout (more or less shout) the persons name, and wait till he returns with "yes" and then start to talk. The question is, if this is enough to successfully start the vox to operate. I would say this succeeds about 60 percent which is way to low. Then 20 more percent I need to shout harder, and in 10 percent it is not connecting at all, even in (let's say) 5 percent needing me to reset the system.

I think you maybe on to something here. Although I can not say much on WHAT noise to make, you apparently got further down that road already!

I do not know the "old" Q2 systems. Unfortunately. So I can not compare. But what I DO know (from working years in the IT branch) is, that in very complex technical systems it is not uncommon that by repairing something you unintentionally screw up something else. It has become quite normal actually. Even in very strict controlled environments who work with release scheduling and truckloads of quality systems, this is happening.

So I do not wonder that the G4 is not working as we all would hope for. However, 2 things must be said. First is, that I do think that the G4 is made of the best possible components. I do not know that for a fact, but I derive that feeling from looking at the product materials and package materials from the outside. Second is, that it seems a lot of the functionality of the G4 is software driven.....

Now that last factor is important, since the G4 has the great advantage of easy upgrading. So we are not stuck with the most current software that runs on the G4. Cardo has the opportunity to keep working on the system and gradually update or upgrade the software to a point where it actually becomes a pleasure in using it (I hope!). Which is not the case yet.

One of the things that might help there is a strong improvement of the System Voice Response. It hardly works. "Driver A connected" is almost all I ever hear". What about changing the way the buttons work? So that when you push Button A once, it says "Button A Selected" and then when you hold it, the function is activated. It would stop you from wild guessing what the hack which button you have under your glove.
This could all be changed (improved!) by software updates.

So, although I do think the system is not perfect yet, Cardo has built in the option to eventually get there by changing the software. Furthermore, we might not yet use the system in the appropriate way, as stipulated by BlueLghtning, who in my opinion clearly has a valid point here which we, G4 users, should explore somewhat more.

What I do not understand, is why vendors of the G4 do not pick up on this thread in a more problem resolving way, instead of making this thread a marketing platform for their businesses once more. We do not need that. We already HAVE the freakin' product. We need it to function!
Any help in getting there would be much appreciated!

From the Cardo website, I read in the update notes to version 3.0 the following:
Quote:
VOX sensitivity levels can now be set according to the user's particular needs (Low, Medium, High) and can be adjusted by the end user whenever needed. The end user will be able to set the optimal VOX level for specific driving habits (lower VOX sensitivity for fast driving, etc. and vice versa) via the PC software or in the Voice Configuration Menu directly on the G4.
Look at the bold section.
Now, does this mean that when noise is to be expected of HIGH LEVEL, you should set the system to LOW ?
If that is the case, maybe we all did understand this the wrong way when we would set the system to HIGH ?
Any opinions on how to read this?

Simplyred screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 03:06 AM
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote