View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #49
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
After a full day of racing when you are tired, it's very nice to be relieved of that extra pendulum effect when going through ruts and sand. And of course, if you don't have it to begin with you will have less strain on your upper body. If you run a full rally setup theres a couple of kgs up high where you don't want it pulling at the bars.

But if you are running a Acerbis type rb-holder and a Vector there is no need imho.
I've run lots and lots of rally routes with a handlebar-mounted setup. I don't notice the extra weight on the bars much. Generally, a handlebar-mounted setup will be lighter and simpler than a frame-mounted setup. So, that means a lighter bike overall, which is never bad. Mostly, I'm too cheap and lazy to build a frame-mounted setup for my XR, and I don't see any real need to. If I were to run another big rally, I'd take the XR with handlebar clamps, F2R, and one ICO. We ran 8 bikes with this setup in our last Rally School without a hitch. In my book, simpler is better. (And, when others are prepping their bikes, you can be out riding.)

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote