View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #5981
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Two observations:

As previously noted, the inline six is the "perfect engine" from a balance/vibration standpoint. That's why the big rig that delivered your Tiger to the dealership has one. 6 cylinders, each roughly the size of that 2 liter of Dr Pepper you've got in the fridge, each contributing up to 200ft/lbs of torque, and engineered to last more than 1,000,000 miles.

Second observation: Triumph resale value varies quite a bit. The 600cc I-4 sportbike and it's variants have done horribly. Bonnevilles (Black, T100, and just "Bonneville") have done very, very good. I don't know about the Bonnie variants.

Bonus observation:

Me WANT Tigger!!!!!!!

sigh.... 2.1 million people in this friggin' valley and we don't have a Triumph dealer anymore. Blasted recession.

Double Bonus: Woooohoooo, century mark, 100 posts!!! Yayyy me!
Lets not forget the original Jeeps from WW2.. They ran a straight 4 or straight 6 engine. While not a huge "powerhouse", the ones Ive been exposed to ran and ran and ran.

I had been looking for a used Scrambler or T100 this Spring and last Fall. They were pretty varied in price but I found them to be going for between $6800-$9000. Not bad considering we bought my wifes T100 new for $10,000 OTD with about $700 in farkles added in. The other point I noticed was that there just aren't that many out there used to choose from. This tells me that those who have them love them, and aren't getting rid of them.

I don't really know about BMW resale value but I have observed that there were quite a few available, and the prices asked were pretty ridiculous. There were quite a few that I saw out of Tri Cities / Yakima that were on Craigslist forever. Why would I buy your unknown allegedly "Gently" used POS for a couple thousand below new, when I can go buy new out of the box from the dealer? Many didnt even offer the farkles with the bike, or increased the cost exponentially to include them. I guess there's a sucker born every minute, and those who HAVE to have "THAT" bike will have it at all costs. So they convince themselves theyre getting a good deal. Not that all used bikes are a bad deal, just that it seems when reading some of the ads, that they are trying too hard to convince me it's a great deal. I would rather spend a little extra and be assured I am getting something reliable. There's a red Scrambler in the PDX area... I think its STILL for sale. makes ya wonder.

The K series bikes were plentiful and fairly cheap... not sure what was up with that.. nobody likes touring BMWs anymore?
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote