View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1578
PD-Classic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I've been lucky to have all the years of 530, right on through my current 2011, so I thought it would be interesting to add a post that compares them, for people trying to decide what to buy (new current vs. leftover vs. used).
Thanks for the comparison, Neduro. Your first hand experience on these matters is probably unmatched by anyone else here on ADVrider.

I do think your rating of the 08 as a "6" is a little harsh. Of course, since I have an 08 I'm biased. I've owned it since new and once properly setup is a great bike.

In any case, I think the most important thing to keep in mind for potential buyers (regardless of whether you are buying new or used or the year being considered) is that all of these bikes will need to be setup properly in order to run well. They are certainly not "Ready to Race" as delivered from the factory.

The following changes are pretty much essential and easily done:

Desmog
Rejet
Replace or modify stock rear fender (stock will interfere with the rear tire - I run the KTM "Euro" Fender)

Other things I have done which I highly recommend are:

Regear (stock is way too tall at 15/45 - I run 13/52)
Replace or modify stock silencer (stock is very restrictive and creates a lot of heat - I run the KTM Hard Parts FMF silencer)
Radiator fan (I run the KTM Hard Parts fan)
Upgraded stator (I run the KTM Hard Parts stator)
Upgraded waterpump impeller (I run the KTM Hard Parts impeller)
Newer cam (only applies to 2008 models)

I could go on, but the sun is shining and it's time to ride.