View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 03:40 AM   #21
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I'm in Anchorage now, where I'll stay for a while and get a new back tire and oil and stuff, then go up to Fairbanks and do the Arctic Circle and Denali Highway.
I've got a lot of pics to resize and then I'll post more, but first a quick funny story.
I've met a lot of guys doing this trip on bikes along the way, and they've all met each other. We all see each other in different towns all up the Alaskan Highway and now in Alaska, plus a few going the other way. In Dalton City I met a guy named Mike (another one) from New Jersey on a V-Strom 650. He told me about two guys on BMWs from Texas, one with a zebra striped tank that I'd seen several times in Whitehorse.
So Mike from NJ went just across the border to Hyder, AK on the way up for a few drinks. The bartender asks if his name is Bob. Apparently the payphone in the bar that hadn't rung in ten years rang and someone asked for Bob on a motorcycle, from Texas. So later, Mike from NJ sees the guys with Texas plates and asks which one is Bob. The guy looks at him wierd and says "I'm Bob". Mike said "You got a phone call in Hyder".
I saw the zebra striped beemer outside a restaurant in Tok yesterday and walked up and pulled the same gag.
"Is one of you guys Bob?"
Really great "you gotta be kidding" look from Bob. "Yeah I'm Bob"
"I heard there's a phone call for you in Hyder."
And that's what it's been like.

snowrider screwed with this post 06-29-2005 at 03:47 AM
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote