View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #6184
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.

Odd comment, since the S1000RR is modelled on the GSX-R1000 K5.

I'm not BMW bashing btw, as I like S1000. Just seems an odd thing for the guy to say.
I don't find it odd at all, I'm not a sports bike fan, but when BMW launched the S1000RR it clearly took a technology and power leap over the established competition. All the magazines agreed and a friend who had raced GSXR1000's successfully for 5 years (won every club championship he entered) climbed onto the S1000RR and said it was like cheating the thing was so far in front.

What's this got to do with the Tiger 800? Well to my mind as good a bike as it may be, it seems to me to be simply offering a similar choice to the F800GS. Triumph had two years to see and try the competition, they could have come up with something that blew the GS out of the water, instead they came out with something that is merely derivative.

Like Von Kunheim at BMW said, Triumph are better than that and have launched some great bikes in recent years. They had the opportunity to raise the sector bar with Tiger 800 and they didn't take it.