View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #53
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post

The SMT is very capable of doing long distances comfortably....

The stock bags are small but worked OK for me with a tail bag...but the ADV bags will fit it if you need more space and have the $1,000 to drop. Givi also makes a pannier system.
I'm with you on the size of the stock bags. Plus they are a PITA to get into. I've been looking into alternatives and have heard some question the durability of the SW Motech EVO & the Givi systems. Plus I'm not too keen on the price. Touratech also has a setup, but its way out there on price as well.

With that said, I've been talking with Happy-Trail about an SU-Rack for the SMT. My first look research shows that their 950 SE rack system might bolt right up to the SMT. Only the rear 'bumper' part of the rack would need to be changed. I just fired off an email with a bunch of pics of my bike and the mounting locations. I included some with & w/o the plastics. I also included some basic measurements so that Ed & Jason can compare it to the CADD drawings of their rack.

If it all works out then I'm going to pull the trigger on the SU rack with Teton panniers and top plate.. Total = $768.95 Which is pretty good considering what the other options available.

The other option is to build my own rack like I did for my S3. Saved me a shit ton of money, but it was a pain to fab the one off rack.

-keith
k1973 is offline   Reply With Quote